WHO confirms 131 monkeypox cases since outbreak first reported, remains "containable"

WHO confirms 131 monkeypox cases since outbreak first reported, remains "containable"

Share This Content
Rosamund Lewis, head of the Smallpox Secretariat within the World Health Organization (WHO) Emergencies Programme said on Tuesday there have been 131 confirmed monkeypox cases and 106 further suspected cases globally, but the latest outbreak was "containable."

Lewis stressed skin to skin contact remains the primary mode of transmission. The usually mild viral infection that is endemic in parts of west and central Africa had previously rarely been seen in other parts of the world prior to the current outbreak. The majority of recent cases have been reported in Europe.

She also said that while the outbreak was being treated as a "concerning situation," she advised that "individuals remain at very low risk."

For more info, please go to https://globalnews.ca/news/8864806/monkeypox-outbreak-containable-who/
Subscribe to Global News Channel HERE: http://bit.ly/20fcXDc
Like Global News on Facebook HERE: http://bit.ly/255GMJQ
Follow Global News on Twitter HERE: http://bit.ly/1Toz8mt
Follow Global News on Instagram HERE: https://bit.ly/2QZaZIB
#GlobalNews